The SERP refers to the acronym of “Search Engine Results Page”, which in Spanish corresponds to search results in a search engine; such as Google, Bing, Yahoo … It’s the page where the results are shown when you perform a search. For example, let’s say that you enter Google and in the search engine you enter the words “web positioning” and you give it to search. The page where you see and the results are shown to you are the SERPs. Nowadays, one of the most demanded and important profiles in the digital environment, is the SEO, the people in charge of interpreting how Google thinks and of optimizing the web pages to appear in the first positions of the results of the search engines.
(Search Engine Results Page) refers to the results page of a search engine, such as Google or Bing. This tool enables local keyword rank monitoring! It is the page that appears after making a search, it is where the results are displayed. The more a web is optimized according to the quality criteria of the search engines, the more likely it will be to position better in the SERPs. Techniques and resources to help you generate business opportunities and branding based on the experiences of a team of digital marketing professionals.How many times have you heard “improve the position in the SERPS”? Surely many times if you are interested in SEO positioning so this tool enables local keyword rank monitoring. But … what is that about the SERPS? What is the meaning and origin of this abbreviation? If you’re interested in knowing, I’ll tell you in this article.
Definition of SERP
SERP stands for Search Engine Results Page or Spanish search engine results page. This definition refers to the results that appear on the pages of Google, Bing, Yahoo or Yandex and that tend to show about 10 on average. In summary, SERPS are all the pages that appear on Google and that are full of different results. This is the expression of “wanting to improve our position in the SERPS”, which would mean wanting to go from a certain page to a higher one in any of the search engines.
Types of SERPS
Although you can think that there is only one type of SERPS, far from it. We have the great division between SEO and SEM staged in organic advertising and paid to advertise. Organic SERPS: are those results that appear in a free and natural way. Those who are positioned thanks to SEO techniques so this tool enables local keyword rank monitoring. SERPS of payment: results that appear due to the bids of Adwords and for which there is to pay a determined number. The list of results that appears depends on what is paid, the keyword searched and other factors that fall within the SEM.
Results that appear in the SERPS
Whereas in the past only the classic text results with their title and description appeared, today we can find many other things in the SERPS:
- Video results: since Google bought YouTube, it integrated all the video results into the search engine. Therefore, videos may now appear instead of text results for certain searches that link directly to YouTube.
- Images: a few years ago Google changed the algorithm and started showing images directly at the top of the search. It does not do it for everyone, but in a large majority, we can start to see it.
- News: even though Google News has closed its service in Spain, results from different newspapers still appear if we search for a keyword that has current news related.
- Maps: local results have a great prominence with Google Places in the SERPS and Google usually shows a map and these results. They usually appear when searches are made with great local prominence, such as “dentist”, “tennis club”, “cafeteria”, etc.
- Products: Google Shopping is another of the Google services aimed at stores. Show different offers and products if the keyword is related to them. For example, if you search for “camera” you will see several results of online stores on the right.
- Google +: even though the author’s content disappeared, if you use Google+ and one of your contacts has a published content that matches the word you are looking for, your result will appear on the first page.
Do not depend only on text links
As you can see, SERPS is much more than text and links. The way to get to a first position can be so varied that you could get to occupy a whole page with a website, a video, an image, news, a local result and a product on Google Shopping. If you focus on trying to reach the first position only through the test results, you will be missing a great opportunity to position with any of the other methods. You have to know how to choose which one is best for you and make the most of it. For example, if you are an online store it may be worth using Google Shopping, while if you are a local business it is more useful if you have correctly registered your business in Google Places than paying for Google Adwords.
The important thing is to know what your priority, your goal is and get appear in the SERPS in the first positions for him. To do this remember that you have to know how to make a correct choice of your keywords since that is vital to use the system you use.
How are you going to get to the top positions in the SERPS?
Now that you know all the ways to get there, you have to take the step and try all the ones that suit you. And if you try to coordinate several at once, better than better, since one of the most appropriate ways to get traffic from a search engine is to monopolize as many results as possible on the first page.